Sunday, September 19, 2010

17 September—Leaving tomorrow. The beginning of the adventure.

Tomorrow Kathi drives me down to Phoenix.  We’ll hit Cafe Lalibela for their great Ethiopian food and a last evening together for the next 5 months.  My excitement is tempered by the reality of being apart from her and leaving her on her own.  While I’ve done all the chores I can think of for the winter (cleaning the gutters, shutting down and draining the rain barrels, etc,) and general maintenance chores (painting the bathroom, changing out the scale protector on the hot water system, repairing the gate), I know that there is a lot that I can’t foresee and what remains will be pretty daunting for one person alone working full-time.
Everything is packed now.  A large duffel that’s around 60 pounds and my river bag that’s about 30 pounds.  We’re allowed two  70-pound bags on the American Airlines flights and two 75 pound bags from New Zealand to McMurdo, so I’ve got pounds to spare though no extra space.  Got an e-mail from Kris, my boss, yesterday that announced that we'll be going in on an Airbus on the second flight  and won't be able to take much of our gear.  The bulk of it will come in on a C17 cargo behemoth on the 28th if the weather cooperates; we’ll have to pare our things down in Christchurch (Cheech in Ice parlance) to what will fit in a small bag to be issued on the 24th.  So I’ll be basically camping out in the dorm for a few days until my things arrive.

Kathi
Wesley

No comments:

Post a Comment